Baltimore, Maryland Child Support Lawyer

Child Support Lawyer Baltimore Maryland

Sheri Hoidra Law Firm, LLC is dedicated to helping families in Baltimore and throughout the state of Maryland. Regardless of the child support matter you’re facing, you can rely on a Baltimore, Maryland child support lawyer from our firm to fight for you. Contact us today.

Child Support Lawyer Located in Baltimore, Maryland

Receiving child support is paramount to any parent with primary custody of their child. Whether you’re seeking support or wish to modify an existing agreement, you should only go forward with an experienced Baltimore, Maryland family law attorney on your side.

Calculating Child Support in Maryland

Here in Maryland, courts determine child support agreements through a formula known as the Child Support Guidelines. The Child Support Guidelines assess various criteria, including the following:

  • The number of children per household
  • Each parent’s income
  • The number of overnights per week spent with each parent
  • The cost of the child’s healthcare
  • Whether there is an alimony agreement in place
  • The child’s overall needs

Reasons to Modify Child Support

As the name implies, child support typically only lasts for a certain period of time. In Maryland, child support is terminated when a child turns 18 (or 19 if he or she is still in high school). That being said, child support may also be terminated if a child becomes emancipated before the age of 18 by getting married, joining the military, or moving out of the house. Child support may also be modified if the child’s needs change. For example, if the child requires additional support to receive certain necessary medical treatment, it may warrant an increase in child support payments. If you are looking to modify or terminate your child support agreement, our Baltimore, Maryland child support lawyer is here to help.

Enforcing Child Support

Child support orders are legally binding agreements. Therefore, when one parent refuses to make child support payments, courts have the right to enforce the agreement. If your ex is refusing to pay child support, you should first reach out to your local Child Support Enforcement Agency. The Child Support Enforcement Agency can take several steps against the party refusing to pay to enforce your child support agreement, including the following:

  • Garnish their wages
  • Use their federal or state tax refunds
  • Suspend their driver’s license
  • Report owed support to credit bureaus
  • Bring content of court actions against them

These are just some of the options on the table when it comes to enforcing child support. The bottom line, however, is that no parent and their child should be denied the support to which they are entitled, but if they are, they have options. Our firm can help you explore those options.

Contact Us Today!

Sheri Hoidra Law Office, LLC is dedicated to helping children and their families live happy and prosperous lives, and when it comes to divorce, obtaining an appropriate child support agreement is a big part of that. If you’re facing any child support matter, give us a call or contact us online today.