How Can I Renew My Green Card in the U.S.?

green card

Immigrants who have a Green Card are able to obtain the comfort they need. Recognize, however, that Green Cards are not permanent, in the sense that every 10 years, you must get your Green Card renewed. Luckily, while the paperwork required to complete the process can be complex, our skilled firm is ready to help ensure you have everything you need to successfully apply for a Green Card renewal. If your Green Card has recently expired or is supposed to expire within six months, read on and reach out to our compassionate, knowledgeable immigration firm. Our skilled Baltimore County, Maryland green cards lawyer is on your side.

How do I get my Green Card renewed?

The step in renewing a Green Card is by filling out Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You may file this document either online or on paper and submit it through the mail. However, if you are someone who still has a prior version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card as soon as you are able to. It is important that you discuss this with an attorney.

Can I renew a Green Card from outside of the United States?

In order to start the process of renewing a Green Card, if you are outside of the United States, it is as follows: if your Green Card is to expire within six months, and you are set to return one year from the date of your departure from the U.S., you will have to file for your renewal card upon your return. If you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the U.S., you must immediately visit a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry before you can file your Form I-90 for a Green Card renewal.

What happens if my Green Card renewal application is denied?

Unfortunately, in the event that your application gets denied, you are not permitted to appeal the decision. However, you can often file a motion to report or review with the office that determined you are ineligible for renewal. You must hire an experienced attorney to help you with this issue, as the motion must have new information that supports a reexamination of the decision. Your attorney can help you obtain, collect, and present all the evidence needed to prove that the decision to deny your application was based either on an incorrect application of the law. If you can prove that the office made the wrong decision on the basis of evidence in the file at the time the decision was made.


Sheri Hoidra Law Office, LLC is an immigration law firm. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation with our knowledgeable legal team so that we can work toward giving you peace of mind and a bright future in the United States.